Calling all budding runners and track stars! This is your chance to finish on the track at historical Hayward Field like countless other Olympians and world record holders. Participate in the Eugene Marathon Kids Duck Dash – a fast 1K (approx.) around the heart of the University of Oregon, with a blazing fast finish on the track! Participants receive an official Duck Dash t-shirt, medal, goodie bag filled with treats and a Krusteaz pancake breakfast.
Feel like a bigger challenge? Kids can participate in their own “marathon” – one mile at a time – logging 25.5 miles in the months before the Duck Dash. Then, on race day, kids complete the final distance to make it a full marathon. Kids who track and complete the entire marathon distance receive a special finisher’s certificate in addition to the other Duck Dash goodies. Check out the “How it Works” section below for more details.
KIDS DUCK DASH DETAILS
- Start Location: 15th Ave. & Onyx (UO Campus)
- Start Time: 8:00 a.m.
- Finish Location: On the track at Hayward Field
- Age: Must be at least 4 years old on race day
- Course Map: Click here (PDF)
- Race Day Distance: Approximately 1K (approx .6 mile)
- Age: Must be between 4-12 years old on race day
- Register: Register online until 4/28, in person at the Health & Fitness Expo or on race day morning (race day registration is only available for the 5K & Kids Duck Dash). Register and pick-up your bib near the starting line (on 15th Ave.) between 7:00 – 8:00 am. Leave yourself plenty of time.
- Packet Pick-Up: If you pre-registered (online) but did not pick up your packet at the Health & Fitness Expo, you may pick it up on race morning near the starting line (on 15th Ave.) between 7:00 – 8:00 am. Leave yourself plenty of time.
- Other Details: Kids Duck Dash participants receive a youth sized, short sleeve cotton t-shirt, finisher’s medal, goodie bag with finish line refreshments, a Eugene Marathon reusable water bottle and the Krusteaz Pancake Breakfast! Kids who participate in the “marathon” and turn in their Official Kids Duck Dash Tracker (at packet pick-up) also receive a finisher’s certificate! Kids age 4-12 are welcome to participate. Kids 6 and under MUST have a chaperon run with them on the course. (Although, any age child can run with an adult if he/she chooses. There is no charge for adult chaperones. 1 adult per child please.)
- Parking: There is metered street parking around Hayward Field on Saturdays. Additionally, many UO parking lots are available and free to the public on weekends. Read signs carefully. View Saturday UO Parking Map
The Kids Duck Dash starts at 15th & Onyx (on the University of Oregon campus) heading west with a quick turn onto University. Mini-marathoners and fun runners complete this 1K loop with a right on 13th and another right onto Agate for their blazing finish on the track at Hayward Field in front of cheering fans! The kids will not want to miss this chance to finish just like the full marathoners do the next day! This will be one for your future track star to remember!
Kids Marathon Training – 9 & 12 Week
HOW IT WORKS
- Register: Click here to register online or use the mail-in form.
- Start Moving: Use any of the training resources below to help guide your training.
- Track Your Miles: If you’re participating in the “marathon” log your miles on the Official Kids Duck Dash Tracker (PDF) and bring your completed tracker to Packet Pick-up.
- Packet Pick-Up: All participants – fun runners and “marathoners” – must pick up their race packet on Friday at the Health & Fitness Expo or Saturday morning near the start line (leave yourself plenty of time).
- Race Day: Get yourself to the starting line and get ready to run! Kids 7 and under MUST have a chaperon run with them on the course. (Although, any age child can run with an adult if he/she chooses. There is no charge for adult chaperones. 1 adult per child please.)
KIDS RUNNING & TRAINING RESOURCES
We are excited to partner with KIDSPORTS where all kids play, develop, and have fun! KIDSPORTS is a private non-profit organization in Oregon that provides youth sports programs for pre-K through 12th graders in Eugene/Springfield and surrounding areas. KIDSPORTS teaches children and families the value of physical fitness, sportsmanship, practice and teamwork through sports and activities. Knowledgeable coaches and officials allow each player to achieve their personal best while having fun. All children have the opportunity to play. Sports programs and activities are open to any child who is able to participate regardless of race, religion, creed, sex, ability, or financial status. >>Find out how you can participate with KIDSPORTS